Sunday, June 7, 2009

Expression

I born in a mandarin speaking family, Malay as national language, English as international language, and Cantonese as entertainment language.

Sometimes these languages will confuse me, in terms of grammar and vocabulary. However, I love mandarin the most, partly is because it’s my mother tongue, and because I feel mandarin and Cantonese can carry out the expression, with some postfix like “la”, “ma”, “lo”, “leh”, “liao” etc.

Consider broken English in Malaysia and Singapore, I don’t feel it’s a shame, it’s more like a culture, of our own. But of course try not to use it in a formal occasion~

See this:

Don’t do that.

compare to:

Don’t do that la.

First one carry a strong meaning, and second one carry a soft approach meaning.

Another is symbol. Used only in Live Messenger and SMS. These little characters really help a lot in describing my tone at that time.

Angry: Don’t do that!

Happy: Don’t do that~

Emo/sad: Don’t do that…..

Uncertain: Don’t do that?

See the effect? Maybe only me who care about the symbols, haha.

Most of the times, I am conscious about the “postfix” I used, but it really add up certain emotion in it, like emoticon, so, it’s not something bad to use it.

Ha, what is this post about?

Enter your email address to subscribe to my feed:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

 
Design by Vhanded 2007 some right reserved


ss_blog_claim=29236a83432e7720600b9f84edc42bd8